Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Monday, January 23, 2012

#GBE2: No Time For Time

Some twenty-five years ago, at a time when I didn't know anything about brand names, someone gave me a Rolex watch. As an anti-fur, don't be ostentatious type gal, I had no idea of the cost or prestige of such a gift. My sister even poked fun–simple me wearing a showy piece of jewelry–as if I knew I had something of value.

Being that it is pretty, I wore it for over twenty years without ever servicing it or buying other watches. I justified it by thinking how in the long run, its cost might be equal to the purchase of multiple watches that break every few years.

The watch has never kept great time–always five minutes slow. Someone told me to buy some gizmo that will spin it twenty-four / seven since it's wound through perpetual motion. I never have.

Last August, about the time this school year began, it stopped. Not having the time to get to my jeweler, who's a good drive from home and closes early, I paid $11 for a slap-on watch that kept better time than my Rolex; but, it eventually rolled off its band and disappeared. I figured I'd use my Fall Break to visit the jeweler and get my Rolex back.

Come vacation, I drove down Poplar to the shop where I found a sign on the door, "On vacation. Be back--yep, you guessed it, the day my vacation ended.

After another month, we finally got the watch to the jeweler who sent it across the country for ridiculously expensive services. I wore my watch almost a month, and then, the band broke. Back to where I started. Will I ever find the time to fix my time keeper? Maybe someone like me is not meant to wear a Rolex.

17 comments:

Jo said...

I'm thinking 25 years of no service and just a 5 minute loss of time is a pretty good deal. And correct me if I am wrong here, but you didn't pay for it! So, get the thing fixed and stop whining about the inconvenience and the cost! LOL
Seriously, what a lovely watch and it is worth fixing. Some of us older things need a little tune up from time to time! :) And you can make the time! Enough about time?

Dances With Vodka said...

I think it's cool that you still even wear a watch. Period! I use my cell phone for everything, including keeping track of time and I miss the days of wearing watches, especially non-digital ones.

angelaparsonmyers said...

Really enjoyed your story about time. I've always been a Timex fan, myself. : - ) Right now I'm wearing probably the most expensive watch I've ever owned--the proverbial gold watch--well, gold-plated watch--given to me when I retired.

Binky said...

What's a watch?

Anonymous said...

You're too funny. I wear a watch, too (though not a Rolex)--my wrist feels naked without it. Usually, I look at my phone or the computer screen when I want to know what time it is, but the trusty watch (Citizen Eco-Drive, I love this thing) remains.

Claudia Moser said...

Or maybe you should keep it as a treasure in your jewelry box!

Jenn said...

Dang!! I wish someone would give me a Rolex. No complaints. I'll baby it and nurture it!! LOLOL! Fun post as always :D Jenn

revelations said...

I had a Rolex knock off I bought for 25 bucks at the San Antonio flea market which lasted 6 years until one of the arms fell off..being an old miser I thought it was a hell of a deal... :)

Anonymous said...

I spent several hours on Sunday trailing my Mom as she tried to get someone to replace her watch battery. Instead she ended up buying a new watch as few places change watch batteries anymore.

Anonymous said...

So funny. I have an old Rolex that's five minutes slow too...too expensive to repair. My Timex keeps on ticking...

Paula Martin said...

As long as my watch keeps time, I don't care what make it is!

k~ said...

That was really a clever creation: the watch. A piece designed to stay with us, on us, to keep track of the measurements we created... Only to be 5 minutes slow (perhaps a message to slow down), but consistently so.

It's been years since I have worn a watch, I have a drawer full of them (I used to collect such trinkets). Now I look at my pc, at work, at home, and when I am out and about, I look at my phone. Odd how that happened!

Mojo Writin said...

I think your Rolex has suited you perfectly. It kept going, even if it wasn't always on time, and no matter what happened to it, it hung in there, and will for a good few years more. Maybe you can hand it over when you wander off to the big writers lounge in the sky, and 'someone' with a bit more knowledge of time and how it works will finally set it right for you *hugs*

Beverly Diehl said...

Call me a cheap date, but I love the Timex I got at Target a few years back. Keeps great time, I've gotten it wet a couple of times with no tragedy (I think I even washed it in the machine once) and nobody is going to look at it and assume I have cash falling out of my wallet.

And forgive me, not meaning to insult whoever gave it to you - but I don't think the Rolex is very pretty. Everyone has his/her own tastes, of course. I guess I'm lucky to have different gift-givers. :-)

Suzy said...

A Rolex is a watch to treasure and it served you well for so many years even if it ran a little slow. Although I wear a watch (feels weird not wearing one), I usually check the time on my phone!

Rhonda Albom said...

If you ever do give up on it, put it out on ebay - I'll bet it's still worth something, broken band and all. Pretty impressive that it lasted so long.

Brenda Stevens said...

LOL now isn't this something...and you know, we are suppose to wear a watch at work to take pulses etc, but really they're all on telemetry and the time is on our phones! lalalal..trade it in for good moola i say and invest in WHATEVER YOU NEED!

thank you for making me smile....loved this