Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Thursday, May 31, 2012

#GBE2: My Turn

I hate reality TV. It's more than just the obvious fact that I'd be the first one voted off the island due to my tactless thirst for honesty. The queen bee would make a heartless remark about the fat chick, and I'd be the one to say, "You arrogant dog! You're just saying that to turn everyone against her." Then it would be over for me.

I've never been good at people games. If someone treads where they shouldn't, I don't give subtle hints. Instead I boldly yell, "Get out of there!" My son calls it a lack of filter and sites it as the main reason all of his girlfriends and sibling's boyfriends have been afraid of me. I'm not that scary, unless you're trying to hide the truth–I'll find it.

The other night, I woke to a running toilet and found my youngest daughter poised in front of the television watching brides who were competing for plastic surgery. Individuals claimed to have noses that were too big or breasts that were too small, but in my mind, the only thing they needed was a psychologist's bench. 

What sort of message do these shows teach our kids? First off, you are not okay the way you are and must have plastic surgery in order to look good for your future husband. I don't know about you, but if my fiance supported my doing this, I'd tell him to take a hike. 

As for my son, if I saw a future Mrs. Lansky embarrassing the competition with twisted remarks on national TV, I'd work hard to break the engagement. 

Of course, my kids only date drop dead beautiful people anyway, so they'd never be on this plastic surgery show. But wait a minute, these girls weren't ugly either. It's not like they were 60+ years old and wanting a little botox to remove a wrinkle. Nor, were they victims of fire or accidents that had facial deformities. Absolutely nothing was wrong with the way any of them looked, so I have to question a doctor putting them through the surgery. Perhaps it was all about making money?

A Beautiful Bride
The winners of these shows are those who outsmart the others through cold, calculated, shrewdness. I don't know about you, but these are not the way I want people to act. Nor, am I in favor of humiliating individuals on national TV. It's as if we're telling our children that it's good to be cruel to others. 

If this is any indication of the world to come, I'm glad I'll be checking out in thirty years or so.

7 comments:

Amy McMunn said...

I will admit to liking brainless tv at the end of the day, yet even I see that Bridalplasty is one messed up concept with a group of seriously disturbed individuals.

I completely agree with you?

Amy McMunn said...

P.S. the question mark is a typo. LOLOL!

Unknown said...

I am with you. It seems there are more reality shows lately than the good ones who have something good to say.

Anonymous said...

the latest reality TV i have been glued to is Cornell University's Lab of Ornithology Great Big Blue Heron Nest. hehe adore that show http://www.allaboutbirds.org/page.aspx?pid=2433 and adore YOU

Anonymous said...

Hell in a handbasket.

Mojo Writin said...

Reality tv, car crash tv, it's all carp, and I refuse to watch any of it. As to all these dumb people who think they are gonna find happiness through a surgeon's knife... can't help hoping for a Darwin award or ten with a slip of the sleep juice needle *wink*
PS - Elsa was gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I don't watch those kind of reality shows. I stick to reality shows on Discovery Health or something like American Pickers/Pawn Stars. Those types of shows.