Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Sunday, March 20, 2016

#AtoZ : Zits

Ever wonder how long people have been getting zits? They've been around for my entire life, yet I don't remember seeing historical photographs where pimples protruded from young noses.


Take Joan of Arc who died at age nineteen, yet not a blemish on her face. Surely she had at least as much stress as the teens of today, but no one ever sees pimples on her face.


Or how about King Tutankamum who also died at nineteen? Look at that face. Okay, it's black, cracked, and aged, but the skin is smooth. Where are the zits? Did he use ancient Clearasil? Wait a minute. What's that spot on his right cheek?



Nope, I didn't find historical pictures with acne, so I did a google search and BINGO!  Did you know that ancient Egyptian writings mention pharaohs with zits? So that's what they meant by the curse of boils in the Passover story! The pharaohs were covered in pimples.

Yep, zits have probably been annoying teenagers since the cavemen days.

"Doff, don't eat that greasy mammoth thigh or you'll get bumps on your face."

"Yes, Mother." (Rolls ancient eyes)




Factually, the word "acne" was invented in ancient Greece. As for the word zit, it popped up in the dictionary in 1966 with an "origin unknown" label. From that, the 60s brought us "zit-coms." Ie., sitcoms aimed at teens.

I first learned about zits in grade school when my brother complained about black heads. I didn't know what a black head meant, but when my friend Jean came over, I told her my brother had them. She didn't understand how my brother could have a black head and neither did I, but I learned. 

As I aged, I got my very own pimples. I especially remember the friendly zits that would pop up to say, "Hello" whenever a big event was on the horizon.

When it comes to zits, nothing beats this scene from Animal House. Enjoy.



17 comments:

Sandra Tyler said...

I always had oily skin and still do in my 40s. Good thing about being zitzy a good part of your life is your skin looks younger with age!

Traveling Bells said...

Those ancient artists took a lot of artistic license back then...trying to make sure they would get paid for GOOD results, in all likelihood:) Who wants to broadcast a zit on canvas forevah???

Have a great day...

Jenn said...

I am dying laughing. I've always thought that zits were Mother Nature's way of getting back at those of us who don't produce wrinkles quick enough. Just a guess. I don't have very many wrinkles--but now those zits--they like to visit me frequently!!

Cheers, Jenn
http://www.wine-n-chat.com

Amy Morgan said...

Okay - didn't see this one coming. But it made me laugh on a Monday. THanks!

Paula Martin said...

This made me laugh! I was lucky, I have dry skin so didn't get zits.
Congrats on completing the challenge, and many thanks for visiting my blog.

Unknown said...

This did not surprise me at all. I knew if anyone approached the subject of zits it would be you! LOL
Congrats on completing the challenge. ♥

Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

M Pax said...

I loved reading this history of zits. Fantastic. Hormones are great at producing them.

Jo said...

LMBO...Only YOU! Hysterical. ♥

danneromero said...

and such an ugly word for such an ugly blemish... great info, joyce....

Martha said...

I bet you have the only z for zits theme in the history of the A-Z challenge, lol! What really cracked me up was (rolling ancient eyes) - too funny! We made it, whoo-hoo!! Congrats :)

Anonymous said...

We are a bunch of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.

Your web site provided us with helpful information to work on.
You've performed a formidable activity and our whole community will probably be thankful to you.
My web page :: Acne No More Reviews

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative.
I am gonna watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate if you continue this in future. Numerous people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!
Also see my website > Impotency

Cascia Talbert said...

Even as an adult I still get them every once in a while. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Binky said...

The best thing about zits is the comic strip.

Rhonda Albom said...

LOL - that animal house clip seems to come up every time a zit pops up in our house. When I read your title, I though you had changed your mind as today is the day to reveal your AtoZ challenge topic. I am glad you are not attempting AtoZ zits.

mail4rosey said...

Zits are never, never fun, no matter your era, no matter your age. ;)

Anonymous said...

I hear Windex is very good for zits :)