Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Sunday, October 27, 2019

Halloween


I love Halloween. Unfortunately, not everyone shares my love, so my advice for this time of year is to proceed with caution. Early in my teaching career, I got into trouble. My first grade class and I made a witch's brew. It contained a lot of spicy good ingredients like cranberry juice and cinnamon sticks, but I went too far with my class.

     For example, I said, "Here is cranberry juice . . . or is it blood?"
     The kids all giggled.
     Then I said, "Here are cinnamon sticks . . . or are they bones?"
     Once again, the room echoed with the giggles of small children.

However, when the kids got home, their parents weren't laughing, and I was called under the carpet! This was over thirty years ago, at a time when few thought to question the fun of Halloween. Today, making a Witch's Brew would only be worse. So before celebrating witches and goblins in your classroom, you must make sure the principal and school supports this. Many Halloween parties have been replaced with Harvest parties, which could also spell a good time.

Halloween has certainly changed in other ways, too. Years ago, our doorbell used to ring nonstop with trick-or-treaters from the wee little ones to the teenagers. We'd make sure to buy lots of candy so that we wouldn't run out. In fact, once my brother ran out of candy, so he gave each trick or treater a can of Coke. This was a big hit because the same kids kept coming back.

Last year, we only had one trick-or-treater, so I didn't buy as much candy, this year. I hope we don't run out. I bought a six pack of small Cokes in case we do.

If you're looking for classroom fun, I have Halloween resources and Fall Resources. Here are a few possible buys for your kid's. They will love these!

#iteach123 #iteach345, #teach




Halloween Activities for Primary Students

#kids, #teacherspayteachers #edu




Halloween Logic Puzzles and Brain Teasers
#TpT, #iteach, #education




Autumn Logic Puzzles






I send these posts to my mailing group; however, they get free resources along with the article. You can, too. Just join my group by clicking below!


You will also receive a FREE No Prep Problem Solving Pack!


Now, since it's time for Musical Monday Moves Me, here are some fun Halloween tunes.

Here's a fun song from a fun movie! GhostBusters


I love the spooky music that goes with this video. HA! HA! I recently watched Halloween, with a young Jamie Lee Curtis, for the first time. This is a hoot.


For this last song, I figured I needed to post the entire sketch in order for you to appreciate the song. Plus, this was my son's, daughter-in-law's, and grand dog's Halloween costumes. Any questions?

Halloween Lessons and music


 

And finally, here is my very own Halloween commercial, designed by my son. You'll be sure to get a chuckle.

9 comments:

Binky said...

We refer to it as Chocolate Day here. The candy we buy never does last until Halloween, though.

John Holton said...

Cleverly done!

csuhpat1 said...

Very nice playlist and great pic. Thanks for sharing both.

XmasDolly said...

hahaha The Michael Myers video was a hoot! Love the little girl walking in and turning around and say "NOPE"! HAHAHAHA That was a hoot & the other giving him a hug. Ahhhh to have a child's bravery! This was an excellent post, my friend! Love the videos etc. Your pic of the Halloween costumes was so cool! The dog was great and a very handsome couple I must say! :) The haunted elevator was a hoot!!! HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I hope you get a good amount of trick or treaters!

messymimi said...

We love the Great Neighborhood Candy Exchange, and some years we get lots of kids and some years almost none. We buy a lot just in case.

Happy Halloween!

Cathy Kennedy said...

Joyce,

I'm not a huge Halloween fan, except for the candy. I don't like being scared or have things jumping out at me. I hate those creepy slasher type films. That's too much like real life. I like ghost and monster movies just as long as they aren't weird. Your early teaching experience of 'do not do' for Halloween was interesting and something I'd not have given any thought of had I been in your shoes. The little girl on the Jimmy Kimmel show who turned around and said "Nope" was the smartest kid of them all. That was a great clip and I got some good laughs watching it. It looks like your son, his wife, and pup are ready for the fun. Have fun and hopefully you won't have to call the Ghostbusters! I love the movie and the theme song! Thanks for joining the 4M crew on the dance floor, my dear. Have a boogiestastic week!

pilch92 said...

I like Ghostbusters. I dressed one of my cats as one last year for Halloween :)

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I am a retired teacher and not sure I would want to be teaching anymore- just about anything you do is under scrutiny! We don't get many kids anymore for Halloween, so I end up eating all the candy that is leftover- This year we didn't buy any candy and we are going out to a movie... Love your family costumes!

Stacy Uncorked said...

YES! I remember growing up, when us kids 'aged out' of trick-or-treating, we'd be the ones handing out candy, and we kept track of how many kids came knocking - 500 one year! That was crazy! Then subsequent years it dwindled down to practically nothing. Fast forward to our first house in PA, we were on a busy road, so no trick-or-treaters (in fact, we'd drive to a suburban neighborhood so Princess Nagger could enjoy making a great haul in candy treats). When we moved back to Washington State, we bought a house in a suburban neighborhood, and ran out of candy. Then we moved into the house we have now in a tiny town -but no one seems to want to hike up our steep hill to get to our house (only 3 houses at the top of our hill, and the other two don't do Halloween, so I get it).

Great selections for sure! And I LOVE what your son, daughter-in-law and granddoggy did for their costumes - the video of the skit totally cracked me up! :)