Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Monday, October 7, 2019

October Fire Prevention Week

Fire Prevention Week is here and definitely a good thing to teach in the classroom. I'll never forget when my son came home from a fire assembly worried about being on the second floor of our house. We bought him a flexible ladder to keep by his window, and that helped him to sleep well. That ladder has never been used in over twenty years, but it still sits below his upstairs window. I'm just thankful he never used it to escape out of the house during his teenage years. At least we think he didn't . . .

My best year in teaching fire prevention was when we entered our city's video contest. My kids had a blast making a movie about fire prevention. It won a prize and was shown to the school, so it may be worthwhile for you to search the local fire department to see if any contests are in place. If they aren't, there is nothing wrong with putting on a skit for another class. The kids will love it and learn about staying safe, too.

Chicago Fire historical fiction story & questions



Also, find enough Fall Activities to keep your kids engaged and challenged throughout the month of October.



I send these posts to my mailing group; however, they get free resources along with the article. You can, too. Just join my group by clicking below!


You will also receive a FREE No Prep Problem Solving Pack!

Now, for a song!






6 comments:

songbird's crazy world said...

Nice song choice.

messymimi said...

This is such an important topic. One thing i am a stickler about is that all small appliances get unplugged and that there must be someone in the house when the washer, dryer, or dishwasher are going. Anything with a motor can catch on fire, my Sweetie's head professor from college has lost two homes to dryer fires, and i have had both a dishwasher and a refrigerator catch on fire, as well as a coffee maker.

XmasDolly said...

Oh my gosh, look who's here!!! HEY GIRLFRIEND (BIG HUGS) HOW HAVE YA BEEN? FINE I HOPE. Well, let's get right down to business. It's a Freebie today so I hope you have your music cap on!!! Oh yeah, I believe so... hehehe! The tunes I've seen today are really rockin'! Hope we get to talk some more soon! Wait now my memory is for crap lately, so didn't you retire or something last year??? Have a great rest of you week girlfriend or maybe we'll talk sooner. Woo Hoo - welcome home!!!! HUGS

Cathy Kennedy said...

Joyce,

I'm so glad you decided to join the 4M crew on the dance floor. It's been a long time and we've missed you. ;) My kids are grown so I wouldn't have a clue what the schools do these days but even when they were younger I homeschooled, so again I didn't know. But...this is an excellent idea and you know kids will enjoy this sort of stuff. That was a good idea that you got the ladder for the upstairs bedrooms and I'm glad y'all never had to use it in an emergency but it was reassuring for your son to have a way to get out if a fire broke out.

Ohio Players 'Fire' was a popular disco tune in its day and a great one to dance to. Just love the beat! Thanks for sharing a classic from the past. Have a boogietastic week, dearie!

Binky said...

Fire prevention is important, especially if you have a rocket lab in the basement.

Stacy Uncorked said...

Joyce!!! I had to do a double-take when I saw your link on the linky... WooHoo! So nice to 'see' you again!

I love that you got one of those flexible ladders so your son could sleep easier at night - and I chuckled over the wonder if he ever used it to escape during his teen years...heh!!

Great song choice! Thanks so much for the dance! :)