Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Algebra, Geometry, It's Math, Oh My!

Now, that you've learned all about teacher evaluations, it's time for a new topic, math. If you don't teach math, please bear with me. Afterall, I am the author of Catch My Products, which is The Gifted Department Store, so I change topics frequently. Were you around in the fall for my writing tips month? I have something for just about everyone. If you don't teach math, what topic would you like to see me tackle, next month?


Math book has a lot of problems. #education #iteachtoo


MATH

As a child, I seemed to make better grades in reading class than mathematics; however, my math achievement test scores were always higher than reading. Go figure? Maybe I had harder math teachers who taught me more.

Nonetheless, everything went south in eighth grade when the teachers did not recommend me for algebra. This was not okay with my dad. He called the teachers and pushed me into a class I was not ready for. I believe this mistake had two results. First of all, I was not mature enough for the subject matter and thus not able to grasp it; two, I believe my teacher resented me being in her class and not understanding the concepts. It wasn't my fault that I was pushed into her class and therefore could not understand her teaching.


Math is developmental and is all part of Piaget's Theory of Development. Pour the same amount of water into a tall thin glass and a short wide glass and then ask a toddler which container contains more water. The kid will undeniably assert that the tall glass has more water in it. To try to explain that the amount of water in both containers is the same is like beating your head against the wall. Toddlers are just not ready to understand this concept. That is math. Understanding relates to maturity, even more than intelligence, all of the way up the grades.


I passed Algebra in eighth grade, which forced me into geometry come freshman year and advanced algebra as a sophomore. This set me up for a pattern of failure, or in my case, successes with a lot of hard work and frustration.



Math phobia with math books in horror section of library #iteachmath
When I entered my freshman year of college, I was required to take a math class. I took one look at that textbook and saw the advanced algebra class that gave me a fit in high school. So, I did what any scared student would do. I took the class pass/fail. This was one of my biggest mistakes in college. By the time I had reached college age, I had matured a lot. This math class was the easiest class I ever took, yet I had signed up for it, pass/fail. When it came time for exams, all of my tests were scheduled for the beginning of the week with my math final on Saturday. So, I approached my professor and asked if my /A/ was strong enough to pass me, if I received a zero on the final exam. He said, "Yes," and with his blessing, I skipped town without taking the final.

So why tell you this? It's two fold. If you are a parent, please listen to teacher recommendations for your children and do not force them into classes that they are not ready for. As a teacher, please try to have patience with that child in your class who just doesn't understand math concepts. Although my eighth grade teacher never admitted that she didn't like me, I knew it. 


Please tune in next week for some ideas for teaching math concepts. It's ironic but having once struggled in math classes, I find myself to be a pretty good teacher when it comes to explaining these concepts.



Would you like a free resource? Although my email posts are similar to my blog posts, people on the email list often receive free resources with my articles. You can, too, simply by signing up to have my emails delivered. Plus, by signing up, you get the free product pictured below. So what have you got to lose? Nothing!


#Free #Teacher #lessons



Monday Music Moves Me - Blogger's Choice

Since I discussed math, how about some musical selections that contain math themes or numbers? First up is Harry Styles and One Direction with "Your Math Skills are Terrible."




Next up is one of my favorite bands from the past, Chicago with "25 Or 6 To 4."




10 comments:

bookworm said...

I hit a math wall in 6th grade and was never able to recover. In college, I was able to conquer the math requirement for my cultural anthropology degree by taking a class that didn't require algebra or calculus but, rather, had us studying math puzzles like the map coloring puzzle (what are the minimum number of colors you can use to color a map of the world without having two countries next to each other colored the same). It was fascinating but I didn't pursue it. Maybe, at 67, I'm mature enough to try math again? The joke life held for me was a job I had for 10 years, a non math position in a department full of mathematicians. It was...interesting. The Chicago song is an old favorite and I loved the One Direction self parody. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

XmasDolly said...

Whoa, Math was always a very interesting subject to me it was the rest of them I really didn't care that much for other than typing & choir, but I did like Science, Gym (I was captain of the girls basketball team. Anyway, Chicago a definite favorite of mine & this is one of their great ones. Thanks for sharing and playing along with us. Great job! hugs and have a great week!

Cathy Kennedy said...

Joyce,

Math challenged me throughout my school career. I don't know that I did much better in college. It took having children of my own to teach myself basic algebra. I'm pretty sure that I've forgotten it all now but a combination of self-confidence and age helped me to learn something I once shied from. Your advice is sound and makes purrfect sense. Now, it's up the parents/teachers to make sure they're doing right by his/her students.

Great theme for this week. I love Chicago! Thanks for joining the 4M crew on the dance floor, my dear. Have a boogietastic week!

Linda said...

Ugh, math. I have a learning disability called dyscalculia, even at my ripe old age of 52, math is just not my thing. Never has been nor will it be. I did not have great teachers growing up, however, when I had to take those much harder math classes for college, I had two wonderful teachers/professors who were very patient and kind and showed me different ways to do things. I will forever be grateful in their kindness.

Great song picks, smiles.

csuhpat1 said...

Nice songs and I not a math person. LOL.

Binky said...

I love math. Without math, we would never be able to launch any rockets or satellites.

R's Rue said...

I'm not good at math.

songbird's crazy world said...

I didn’t crash and burn until I hit Math 12, pre calculus, which I took in 11th grade. I was glad I didn’t have a math requirement in college.

messymimi said...

Fourth grade was when i hit the wall with math. The teacher hated the fact that she had to work for a living (back then, most married women did not) and took it out on the students. If you didn't get it all the first time, it was too bad, you should have listened.

Anyway, that's great to know about the maturity thing, i will pass that on to my foster son to keep in mind with his boy.

Cynthia J. Coleman said...

Ugh,that subject was always hard for me, as a child with mild cerebral palsy . My mom was a special ed teacher and she got me an abacus I did a little better in college with free tutoring at the math lab and using TI 81- and later models- but still had to show my work. Love the music choices . See you later.