Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Closing the Observation Lesson and Music

Time to Close the Directed Lesson


Time to end the teaching lesson - how to

Have you ever been so nervous during an evaluation that you forget to close the lesson? I have! Here are some tips for ending that teacher observation and thus giving that administrator the signal . . . it's time for you to leave.

  • I will usually close a lesson by asking the kids what they have learned. Then I will say, "Let's do one more." With that final problem, teachers can look at the faces on the kids and get a clue at who may be ready for independent practice and who needs more help.
  • Finally, give those who are ready, some sort of independent practice and work individually with anyone who seems confused.
  • To test the kids' understanding, do something on each child's individual level. This is where things can get tricky! You have so many different kids to teach, yet that administrator expects individuality. Also, you must do this while doing your best not to let the kids know that they aren't all getting the same thing. It helps to have the pages look alike on a quick glance.
  • Enrichment: Of course you must have something in play for that early finisher but make sure it relates to the day's teaching. I've been dinged for having the kids go to my enrichment center that has general materials that don't necessarily relate to what I taught on any given day. Dang! Teaching is a lot of work. I remember one lesson on area and perimeter where I taped off a section in the back of the classroom. Early finishers would get out of their seats to count floor squares. That was pretty cool! Although, you must be wary of kids disrupting those who are still working.
  • When everyone is done, I like to take them to the bathroom, water fountain, or recess. Ie., the signal for the principal to leave and for you to take a deep breath. Congrats! You're done until next time.
Celebrate that night! 

Teachers celebrate being finished with observation lesson.
Would you believe this was a gift from a student?

If you are just checking in, find past posts on the teacher evaluation: 
Teacher Observations, Beginning 
The Observation Continues

If you are looking for great, ready made lesson, check out my store, Catch My Products. I call myself the gifted department store because I have just about everything. I'm even thinking about adding some resources for adult literacy learners, since I will soon be teaching helping an adult improve reading skills.

And now, Monday Music Moves Me

Today's theme is love songs and break up songs. This first musical number by Bachman Turner Overdrive has been on my mind.



Here's a great break up song from way back when by Simon & Garfunkle.






11 comments:

XmasDolly said...

All love songs mean different things to different people. One could thing it's a rockin' tune to party & another could feel that it's a love thing that this is the tune we danced too one night & we fell in love. Don't ya just love music. I do to say the least, and as the song says, "Baby, you ain't seen nothin' yet"!!! Have a wonderful day my friend & HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! HUGS

songbird's crazy world said...

I love both songs. 50 ways to leave your lover....hmmmm....

songbird's crazy world said...

Though you did hit a sore spot for me ....I was supposed to go to the Concert in Central Park but couldn’t, and I’ve never seen Simon and Garfunkel live ....

bookworm said...

A little BTO is a great way to start the day, especially as I haven't heard this song in a long time. And, Paul Simon has sung some relly great songs - 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover is one of them. Thank you for the Monday Morning dance! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

Cathy Kennedy said...

Joyce,

BTO was a favorite from my youth and still is. 'You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet' is a great song for today's theme. Simon & Garfunkle is another great oldie group. '50 Ways to Leave Your Love' is a fabulous break-up song. Thanks for joining the 4M gang on the dance floor, my dear. Have a boogietastic week! ;)

csuhpat1 said...

Nice songs. Thanks for sharing them.

John Holton said...

I never would have thought of "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet." Good picks!

Binky said...

When the lesson is over, I'd rather be taken for ice cream!

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

Oh yeah, remember that first one!

Good choices

Peachy, Stippie, Angel Binky and Granny said...

Love both songs, and haven't heard them like in...ages😸Pawkisses for a Happy Wednesday🐾😽💞

messymimi said...

So much great music, so little time.