Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Teacher Observation Beginnings

Evaluation Basic Beginnings

Administrators expect a few steps in your evaluation. Here is a short list to expand or rehash your memory on the beginnings of a great lesson. I decided not to go into the full evaluation lesson because I didn't want to info overload anyone.

Before you start your lesson, make sure you have all your supplies ready where you can easily find them. I know this sounds basic, but have you ever had to look for something missing when teaching? Imagine having to do this during an observation. Yikes!

Justin Timberlake was a Shelby County Schools kid.
JT and me for a Set
He has nothing to do with teacher evaluations,
but he's awfully cute and a good set, so I posted him here.
If that doesn't grab your attention, nothing will.
  • Set - You need a basic start up to catch your students' interest. Tell a relevant (and clean, ha, ha) joke. Show a film short, play a song, throw out a relevant question, match the learning to something of interest to them.  For example, say, "Harry Potter has to do this before buying a new wand.," etc. Whatever you do, keep in mind that kids are different than we were. They need something that says, "Hey! Listen to this." 
  • Standards - Don't ya hate 'em? It may seem stupid to throw out a number to a bunch of kids who could care less, but those administrators really like to know what you are teaching. If nothing else, have that standard written somewhere visibly in the classroom. Actually, definitely have the standard on your board. Find kid speak to tell the kids what they are learning and don't forget to have them say that learning objective back to you or to a classmate. Throughout the lesson, you want to remind the kids of what they are learning.
#TeachersPayTeachers #TpT #education
Past Learning to make lessons meaningful
In the past, I learned that coffee grounds did nothing to improve my complexion.
But, they are great for getting rid of ants;
so if you have ants on your face, cover liberally with coffee grounds.

  • Past Learning - This step may not always be needed, depending who is watching you, but it's a nice touch. Do what you can to make the lesson relevant to the kids by mentioning how it can be used or how it relates to past learning. Evaluators love lessons that can be tied into other things in meaningful ways. This could also be part of the set. For example, "Where have you seen or might we see analogies?

Hope this was helpful. Tune in next week for ways to deliver the meat of the lesson with gradual release tips and formative assessment techniques. Since this post is now up: The Middle of the Observation

I have a lot of lessons in PowerPoint that are good for evaluations. Check these out!

Fact and Opinion PowerPoint lesson on TeachersPayTeachers



Area and Perimeter Word Problem lesson on PowerPoint



Musical Monday Moves Me

This week is a freebie, so since this post was about beginnings, I'm going to post a song by that name from, Chicago.




Also, since I posted Justin Timberlake on my blog, I have to make sure you know who he is . . . as if you didn't. This song is called, "Supplies." What a coincidence. Not! Hopefully, you won't be kissing in the classroom or having a dirty little girl telling you to, "Just die, already!" Needless to say, nothing out of the mouths of babes surprises me anymore.


6 comments:

XmasDolly said...

Hey honey, first of all our theme this week is not a freebie, it's Our theme is Jan 20th Tentative as in relationship as in one that you’re unsure of can be personal or spiritual. Example: I can only imagine by Mercy Me! It's okay because I love your tunes! Love Justin Timberlake & I've never heard this tune. Wow, Where have I been livin' "Under a rock" as the kids"? hahaha Love the pics too girlfriend! WOW! I would so love to see him. Thanks for sharin'! hugs

Cathy Kennedy said...

Joyce,

How on earth did Justin Timberlake come to be at your school? That's very cool! Okay the coffee grounds didn't make your complexion perky? Gee, what a bummer! :D That's interesting to know that it keep ants away, though. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks for joining the 4M gang on the dance floor, my friend. Have a boogietastic week!

Binky said...

So if you have ants in your pants, do you put coffee grounds in them? That sounds pretty uncomfortable.

Catch My Words said...

Mary, I actually went to your blog to check the theme. I guess I was a week off. Since Chicago is about a relationship and a beginning, I guess it passes because who knows about these things in the beginning?

As for Justin, he didn't come to my school. I saw him at the voting booth in 2016. In fact, I even saw him raise his phone for that famous selfie and thought about taking a picture of him taking that picture as I thought, what is he doing? Taking photos in a voting booth is against the law in Tennessee, but I was standing outside and watching him through a window.

messymimi said...

What teachers have to go through just to keep the jobs amazes me.

Always great music here, too.

bookworm said...

An old favorite (Chicago) and a song that has me so confused and puzzled....is it just me? Guess I'm too old to understand Justin Timberlake, lol. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com