Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Planning for the New Year

Advice for New Year for teachers to plan in / how to
Clipart from The Little Nerdy Teacher

New Year Plan

It's a new year and everybody seems to be all about goal setting. I've also heard that people who set goals and actually write them down are more likely to achieve them.

So, what are your plans for 2020?

As a teacher, I often felt like it was simply staying afloat. I was a Special Education teacher for gifted and talented students. That probably doesn't sound right, but in Tennessee, giftedness is a handicapping condition. That's how we funded our program.

Years ago, I had a parent who would constantly brag to his coworkers about how bright his daughter is. Then, he attended an IEP meeting and received his "Parent Rights for Children with Disabilities" pamphlet. He left it in his car, which he lended to a co-worker. The bragging caught up to him because the teasing didn't stop.


Tip: Set Goals Early

To stay afloat, I would work to stay at least one week ahead on my IEP writing. Planning ahead, I would use any slower weeks to write future IEPs. If I had a crazy future week, I didn't wait until the weekend before to get writing.

Lesson planning was a little trickier because you never know what you'll finish in class. As a result, I was a huge overplanner. I'd plan more than could ever get completed in one class period and then scoot the unfinished over to the next class. This was helpful in keeping up with my plans. Now, if you have an administrator who expects you to complete absolutely everything you write in plans, place these activities, elsewhere.


Who Taught One Year Thirty Times?



Teachers who teach one year over and over, again
I didn't have these 30 years, ago.
Clip art by Clever Cat Creations

We've all heard about the teacher who taught one year thirty times. With the constant curriculum changes and trends, that is no longer possible! However, if you find something great, there is nothing wrong with pulling it out again next year. Why not keep a folder of these lessons. Heck, you can actually keep ten folders, one for each month of the school year. I can't imagine falling into the trap of teaching the same year over and over. Just not possible these days, so chillax! 

Have a Happy New Year!


I send these posts to my mailing group; however, they sometimes get free resources along with the article. You can, too. Just join my group by clicking below!


You will also receive a FREE No Prep Problem Solving Pack!


Monday Music Moves Me - New Beginnings

Here is one of my old favorites, "Danny's Song" by Loggins and Messina. 





6 comments:

messymimi said...

Planning that far in advance beyond putting my clients on the calendar has never been my long suit. Maybe i need some lessons!

Binky said...

I never knew being bright was a handicap, but it does make sense in today's society.

XmasDolly said...

Love your tunes girlfriend! Great job! Now I really know how lucky I am to have all of you bringing out your talents to find just the right songs. Thank you. Thank you for being you. Have a great week.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Joyce,

When I think of Special Ed, I think of kids who are face learning challenges. Is that not what it is anymore? When I hear gifted or talented, I think of kids who excel in school.

I've always heard the same thing about those who write their goals down are more likely to succeed. That's one reason why I keep a to-do list so I'm sure to stay on task and it's a nice feeling to see things scratched off.

Here's to a great new year filled with new beginnings each day. Have a boogietastic week, my dear!

Peachy, Stippie, Angel Binky and Granny said...

We love that song, haven't heard it before😸Joyful Pawkisses for a Happy and Healthy New Year🐾😽💞

bookworm said...

I have never heard of gifted/talented being "special ed". I wonder if any other states besides Tennessee so fund their programs this way. (My son, who is now grown and a successful adult, had an IEP for other reasons and I'm trying to wrap my head around this). As for your suggestion - I LOVE Danny's Song - just never heard this particular cover. A nice way to start the year. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com