Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Guest Blogger Hostess for Wellness

My daughter, Judy, sent me a great article that she wrote for a post. I am sharing it with you!

Guest Blogger

Hi everyone,

This Wellness Wednesday took me on quite an adventure. I wanted to do something fun and figured a wellness beverage could do the trick.  Little did I know the history of the smoothie in America is a complex story intertwined with scientific breakthroughs and counter-culture. (You got stuck with a history major for this Wellness Wednesday!)  The smoothie has been around in different cultures well before it made it to the US.  India has the lassi which combines mango, yogurt and spices for its treat. Additionally, with their plethora of tropical fruits, blended fruit drinks have been around in Latin America for a long time often referred to as “fruit slushes”  

The history of the “smoothie” is connected with the invention of the blender in the 1930s by  Stephen Poplawski. The blender was then perfected in 1935 by Fred Osius and called the Waring Blender. Osius claimed his machine would “revolutionize American drinks!”

The popularization of smoothies also relates to the start of  health food crazes and workouts popularized by Fred Lalanne. “Lalanne was the first person to open a combination health-food store and gym, the first to come up with a weight loss breakfast meal replacement drink and to advocate weight training and nutrition.”

But I know the most important question, and what brought along this research project in the first place is *drumroll* where did smoothies get their name!?

Steven Kuhnau opened his first Smoothie King in Louisiana in 1973. Kuhnau was lactose intolerant and felt a little jealous he couldn’t enjoy a milkshake like his friends. He decided to create a yummy beverage that was safe for his sensitive stomach. “Kuhnau didn’t invent the name. He just branded it, [he said] the first time he heard the word was in reference to fruit and fruit juice based drinks made by “hippies” in the late 60’s. Prior to Kuhnau’s “Smoothie King”, the name “smoothie was used to describe everything from women’s bras and girdles, to ball point pens, car paint and machinery. There was even a band named “The Smoothies”! It wasn’t until Kuhnau opened his health food store and called his drinks “smoothies”, to appeal to the already health conscious hippies who knew what the term meant, that the name took off.”  

So as the weather gets warm and we start looking for some healthy treats, the smoothie drinkers in the fund development team would like to share our favorite smoothie recipes with you! Cheers! Feel free to send photos of all of your concoctions  J
Rainbow Smoothie | The First Year
The Logan:
½ cup OJ
1 cup frozen berries
Handful of spinach
1 whole banana

The PJ Baytarian:
1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 banana, broken into chunks
14 frozen strawberries
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar

The Judy (inspired by the Anna at Beyond Juice):
½ cup blueberries
½ cup of strawberries
½ banana
Coconut water
Squirt of lime juice
Scoop of peanut butter
A dash of Orange Juice
(honestly my measurements are guesstimates, use your best judgement!)


To read more on the fascinating topic, check out some of my resources J

Stay safe and healthy and enjoy this beautiful weather today. J

Judy Lansky
Director of Corporate Initiatives
Girl Scouts of Southeastern Michigan

G.I

Musical Monday Moves Me

Musical Monday's theme is flowers, so I'm posting a classic. There is no flower song more beautiful than the Waltz of the Flowers by Pyotr Ilyitch Tchaikovsky. Tchaikovsky was one of the best composers of all times, so I'm sure you've heard this one, even if it was on an episode of The Munsters. LOL! I'm curious to see if anyone else chooses Waltz of the Flowers for this theme. I hope you enjoy this classic!



13 comments:

XmasDolly said...

Your daughter's article was very interesting and the 3 smoothies recipe is also interesting and I believe I may try The Judy one and maybe even The Logan. Sounds yummy. Of course Waltz of the Flowers by Pyotr Ilyitch Tchaikovsky is amazing I don't think I have ever heard the complete tune, but it is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing such beauty along with your daughter's thoughts. Thank her for us also. Have a great day and as always be healthy, be safe.... and be happy! HUGS

songbird's crazy world said...

I also picked the Watlz of the Flowers. It’s so beautiful

Binky said...

I've never had a smoothie.

Mike Golch said...

It's been a while since I heard Waltz Of the Flowers,Thank you for sharing it!!!❤️❤️❤️

Mary B said...

I always enjoy Tchaikovsky.

Alana said...

Enjoyed your daughter's guest post (even if it was for Monday and not Wednesday - please do not confuse already confused people who don't know what day of the week it is!). I had no idea Smoothie King dates from 1973. I've never been in one. I drink smoothies occasionally but, unfortunately, Weight Watchers (I am a lifetime member) counts points for fruits and veggies if they are in smoothies - and there is interesting reasoning behind that. But don't let that stop you!) One combination I like is spinach and pineapple. Never thought it would work, tastewise, but it does.

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

Beautiful music!

csuhpat1 said...

I came so close to picking that song. It is such a beautiful song.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Joyce,

I don't think I've ever had a smoothie. I like the idea of fruits and berries blended in with juices but adding green veggies while might be good for you, just doesn't sound all that appealing to me. I'm lactose intolerant but I suffer the consequences of my actions with a bowl of ice cream or milk shake. :) Thanks for sharing the 4M dance floor with me today. Have a blessed week, my friend! xx

messymimi said...

Fascinating, and i really like that last recipe, i'll have to try it.

Kim@StormsAndStardust said...

Loved your selection! Sometimes a beautiful, classical waltz is just what Monday needs!

Kim

Himawan Sant said...

Your comment is interesting and I understand that the long history of the name smoothie is not actually from America. Also thanks for the spinach smoothies you included here. Have a good day.
Greetings from Indonesia.

Peachy, Stippie, Angel Binky and Granny said...

This made us dream away in the garden. Great choise!😸Pawkisses for a Happy Weekend🐾😽💞