Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Sunday, March 1, 2020

Multiplying Positive and Negative Integers

A Negative Times A Positive is Negative

When it came to deciphering negative and positive integers, the bottom line from my student days was always, "Remember the rule." This can be helpful when problem solving but understanding is always better.

Let's think about a negative number multiplied by a positive number. The rule is that a negative times a positive is negative. Great, but what exactly does this mean? Did anyone watch the Super Bowl? Okay, maybe that's a dumb question, but here is a way to use the Super Bowl as an example of multiplying negative and positive numbers.

Supposed you bet your friend $5 that San Francisco would win the Super Bowl. Guess what? You lost that bet, but since you bet one friend $5, that's all you lost. 


1 X $5 = $5
or since you are losing $5 call it,
1 X (-5) = -5

Had you made this bad bet with three friends, you'd be out three times the amount because . . .

3 X (-5) = -15


A Negative Times a Negative is Positive

But what if you won that bet? In that case, you are taking away the possibility of losing $5, so . . .

(-3) X (-5) = 15

-3 is the amount of times you could have paid a bad bet if you made one, 
while -5 represents the amount you could have lost.

Therefore, congrats! You made $15!
This worksheet is part of my Positive and Negative Integers Bundle. Sorry but, $5 is a little more than you would need to pay to buy this resource. Not a bad price for all that you get!

Next time you want to teach that a negative times a positive is a negative, try explaining this to your kids It's certainly better than telling them to just memorize the rules.


Blog post with Teaching tips for multiplying positive and negative integers #TpT


If you'd like to receive freebies along with my posts, sign up for my email list! Although my email posts are similar to my blog posts, people on the email list often receive free resources with my articles. You can, too, simply by signing up to have my emails delivered. Plus, by signing up, you get the free product pictured below. So what have you got to lose? Nothing!


#Free #Teacher #lessons

See you next week when we look at ways to make the classroom a kinder place.

Monday Music Moves Me

This week's theme is songs with names in the title, so I'm starting with a song by Kiss that is dramatically different from any other song this band has ever written, "Beth."


My next song was sung at the first concert I ever attended at Red Rocks in Colorado. I've always loved, "Amie" by Pure Prairie League!


Finally, this is an old song that we always sang to our daughter, Judy. Plus, it is totally goofy! Please listen to "Judy in Disguise" by John Fred and His Playboy Band.




Free tips for teaching middle school math number operations with integers


9 comments:

XmasDolly said...

Okay, I think out of these tunes I'm really likin' Judy in Disguise! Wow, I haven't heard that in a long time. I really love the tune makes everyone just get up and party! Now as far as your school lesson here it's all Greek to me, sorry! Have a great week my friend! hugs

DrillerAA said...

Ahh-h-h...Pure Prarie League. Thanks for the memory. Have a blessed week.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Joyce,

'Beth' is probably my favorite Kiss song. For years I thought the song was 'Judy in the Sky'. lol Regardless of the song title, it really put me in the boogie mood. Thanks for sharing some wonderful name song tracks to get the move into our Monday! ;)

songbird's crazy world said...

great choices. I see we both like "beth"

Binky said...

I'm always positive about negative math.

John Holton said...

Three winners song-wise. I was especially happy to see "Judy In Disguise (With Glasses)."

messymimi said...

What a fun way to think about negative and positive numbers, and how we loved John Fred! He did a local radio show, too, and i miss it.

Alana said...

Judy in Disguise - a song I haven't heard in so many years. And Beth, with the orchestra in KISS makeup. Nice take on this week's theme

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

Nice choices!