Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Sunday, March 8, 2020

Stop the Braggart, Win TpT Money, and Monday Music Moves Me

Stop the Braggart!

Although I'm a firm believer in freedom of speech, certain things should not be said in order for a classroom to have positive energy. As the adult in the room, you have the power to curb those words or phrases that may be hurtful to others. The obvious "no nos" are the direct insults given to fellow classmates, but some words can serve as indirect insults that are less recognizable for what they truly are.

Having taught gifted and talented kids for thirty years, I'd often come across that braggadocious child who always wanted to flaunt his or her high IQ. It's great that they see themselves as smart, but do they really if they must constantly remind you of this?

#iteachtoo #teachers, article about bragging
Art by Ron Leishman
mean words are hurtful #teachingtips
Art by Ron Leishman

I never allowed children to shout, "This is easy!" Maybe the work is easy for them, in which case I'd encourage him or her to tell me privately because I can always make things tougher. But what about the kid sitting next to the braggart? Image being the child struggling over the assignment only to hear the bright kid boast about how easy the assignment is for him or her. Although this  comment may seem innocent, it's not. It can be hurtful to several kids!

Furthermore, shouting, "This is easy" in a classroom can also lead to a bit of social suicide. Just watch the other kids roll their eyes at the bright child's announcement and you know he or she won't be the first child picked at recess. It's important that these students understand that not only is their bragging hurtful to others but also harming him or herself.

I've also heard teachers comment about something being easy. My answer to that is "Don't!" You never know who may struggle with the lesson, actually, you probably do. That child feels awful when they can't figure out the lesson that you called "easy." I may sometimes tell kids that what we are doing is tough and good for you for working hard to figure it out, but to label something as easy serves no good purpose.


teachers can make hurtful comments unintentionally
Art by Ron Leishman


See you next week when we'll discuss ways to encourage kids to do well.






$100 TpT Gift Card Giveaway!

Ends 03/13/20!

                  #giveaway Enter to win $100 from TpT

Raffle CLOSES:  03/13/20
GOOD LUCK!
  
Prize: $100 Teachers Pay Teachers Gift Card 
You can win a Teachers pay Teachers shopping spree of $100!  


If you'd like to receive freebies along with my posts, sign up for my email list! Although my email posts are similar to my blog posts, people on the email list often receive free resources with my articles. You can, too, simply by signing up to have my emails delivered. Plus, by signing up, you get the free product pictured below. So what have you got to lose? Nothing!


#Free #Teacher #lessons


Want to teach students about kindness? Click HERE to find a helpful bundle on Character Education. Guess what? It costs less than $5 because two of the resources in the bundle are FREE!



I'm also excited to have posted one of my novels on Teachers Pay Teachers. It's a story about bullying. Check out MRS. ZIMMERMAN'S DONUTS, HERE!

Novel or ebook about bullying behaviors

Monday Music Moves Me

Since my post was about the braggart, here is Carly Simon with, You're so Vain!



Next up is Taylor Swift and Brendon Uri from Panic at the Disco with Me.



And finally, here's what happens when the guy is not right. 






9 comments:

Alana said...

Taylor Swift is someone I either love or don't love, and this song is a "love". You're So Vain is a classic from my early adulthood - just love this song. Enjoyed this live version.

XmasDolly said...

Love your tunes & your Give Away is awesome I'm definitely going to do that first thing tomorrow. It's late & I have a doc appt. in the am. You're so vain reminds me of going out with the girls and us all singing that tune together. Those were my party days! hahaha Have a great week girlfriend. HUGS

Debbie D. said...

"You're So Vain" brings back a lot of memories. ☺ Love the exploding snake in Taylor Swift's video! Don't mess with her, LOL. Happy Monday!

My entry @ The Doglady's Den

Cathy Kennedy said...

Joyce,

"You're So Vain" transports to the 70s. That song was so popular in its day. Carly Simon is an excellent songwriter! Taylor Swift has a bigger than life personality. I always enjoy her upbeat fun mewsic videos. Thanks for sharing your choice song picks on the dance floor with the 4M gang, my dear. Have a boogietastic week! xx

csuhpat1 said...

Beautiful songs. Very nice. Thanks for sharing them.

Athena Cat Goddess Wise Kitty said...

You're So Vain is a great tune!

Binky said...

Everyone is really good at some things, and really bad at others. People don't usually brag about the things they're lousy at.

songbird's crazy world said...

I love You’re So Vain. Great song.

messymimi said...

Parents need to learn the same lesson, never tell the child it is easy, it may not be for that child!