Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Encourage Kids with Specific Messaging & Animal Music

Specific Praise


We all, most likely, grew up wanting to hear our parents and teachers tell us we were good, but maybe that was not the best thing to hear. What happened when the adults forgot to tell us that we were good? Did we automatically think we were bad? To be honest, I can't remember back that far, can you? Either way, ever wonder what "good" actually means? It's a rather nonspecific term, which means it's much better to zero in on the behavior you like in a kid and want to see, again.

article about how to praise kids in classroom and home
Art by Sarah Pecorino
As a teacher, this is where the specific praise can be helpful. Instead of telling the child, "You're so smart!" focus on the skill completed or the effort involved. "I can tell you worked hard to figure that out!"

Instead of saying, "You were good at recess, today," say, "I like the way you invited Charlotte to play with you. It must be tough for her being the new girl, but you made her feel welcome!"

These sorts of specific praises are great for teaching kids what you want to see them accomplish. And as we know, kids do better with praise than criticism.

But do you need to praise after everything they do? No. After all, if you constantly praise kids, the words lose their meaning. Save the praise for something special. Praise regularly but not the same praise every time they finish. After all, too much of a good thing can be bad.


Monday Music Moves Me is for the Animals!


First up is Maroon 5 with "Animals." I usually like to post the original video, but it was kinda gross, so here's the Saturday Night Live version.



Next up is a song I remember from elementary school, but certainly not this version of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight."



Finally, I know I've posted this one before but it's good enough to post twice. Here is Harry Nilsson with "The Puppy Song." They are so cute!




8 comments:

XmasDolly said...

oh my gosh I love thAt song by Maroon 5. I don't think I've ever heard it before. Love the Lion sleeps tonight too. This is from the new movie too never saw that either. Dam, am I living under a rock again? hahahaha I guess so cuz I never heard the next song either and I love it too! Great pickins here girlfriend. Thanks for rockin' along with us once again. HUGS STAY HEALTHY & We're always here for you to talk too... just sayin'..... Have a great week.

messymimi said...

Thanks for the reminder about specific praise. Too often i fall into habits and don't remember that.

Alana said...

Puppies and their cuteness are just what we need now. Maroon 5's song is catchy and gets toes to tapping. I have to admit, though, that musically, I do prefer the Tokens' version of The Lion Sleeps Tonight. Interesting days ahead for both teachers and parents - our local schools are closed starting today and until April 13.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Joyce,


I agree you can praise a kid too much. Positive reinforcement is good but not at every turn. I also think kids need to know what they are really good at and what's not their forte. I think about these poor slobs who try out for AI who obviously can't sing and walk away so dejected because they didn't make it. Why hasn't someone said, "Hey dude, you can't sing!" is beyond my comprehension or why is it they can't hear it themselves? *sigh* At least they do make for good entertainment. After all, we all need reason to laugh sometimes.

I'm sorry for the theme mix up. I tried calling attention to the change on the first 4M post this month but I guess I didn't do a good job. You have mewsic for us to boogie to and that's fine by me. Have a good week. Be well, my friend!

DrillerAA said...

Okay, so the puppy song will be the best video I will see all day. Thanks for sharing such a bright and happy offering on a day when the world seems to have little to offer in the way of happy. Have a blessed week.

Binky said...

That was a very well written post, Joyce.

csuhpat1 said...

Nice songs. Enjoyed them very much.

XmasDolly said...

So sorry, but the theme was wrong on my blog & you must have saw it prior to the change. Due to St. Patty's day we had the theme to be songs for that. It's okay thought loved every one of tunes especially the puppy song & Maroon 5. I never heard that one & I love it. Happy St. Patty's day my friend. Hugs