Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

#AtoZ: Here's Letter C at Catch My Words

 

I started Catch My Words almost seven years ago to show book agents and editors that I'm part of the internet world and get published. Seven years later, I'm still not published but am in a great position when the time comes for shameless self promotion. I've also made wonderful bloggy friends who I hope will offer arc giveaway contests for my book when the time is right.

Note lower right hand corner: Not actual size
As you can see, my blog didn't really take off until 2009 or beyond. Posting once every six months doesn't bring readers. Also, my current readership is down, but so are my blog visits. It's tough to keep up with visitors while working full time and posting three times a week, or daily in April.

My trick to successful blogging is keeping posts concise, funny, and adding pictures. People don't want to read much, so after writing a draft, I'll cut verbiage.

Finally, I have a few favorite posts that have
Erica's artwork of the Tooth Fairy: Tina Fartingle.
not gotten attention, while others enjoy multiple hits. Maybe it's because of words like "Christian Gray" or "sex." Yep, those two always up the stats. Have a great day, and here are some kisses for you. XXX  Ha, psych! I just attracted some weirdos.

I leave you with a link to a post from March, 2011. It reached a whopping twenty views and four comments! Lunar War?

12 comments:

Rhonda Albom said...

I think everyone's traffic dipped last year when Google made their big change - except for those that met the new ideals they wanted.

Binky said...

"...trick to successful blogging is keeping posts concise, funny, and adding pictures."
I try to do that too. It's called a comic strip!

C.D. Gallant-King said...

'Maybe it's because of words like "Christian Gray" or "sex." '

Why didn't I think of that???

I will be respectfully stealing your idea on that one.

Visiting from A-to-Z Blog Challenge!
cdgallantking.ca

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger said...

We are all there i that mix I think--you maybe only longer than me--

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I've never worried about the numbers and stats, I just keep posting!

All the best with the blog Challenge.

Life SPW said...

I agree that blogging and visiting others on the blogosphere can be quite time consuming. I started my blog to share insights on life after retirement. My blog has evolved over time from it's intended purpose. Blogging once a month or less does not attract followers. Good luck in getting published fellow blogger.

LA Botchar said...

Bah - stats schmats. I hardly ever check them. I love when people comment though because that kinda is the whole point: that they should listen to me. LOL
No seriously, it IS the connections made. that is the reward of taking time to write.
so just keep writing, when you can: you never know when something can just suddenly go viral and make you an web star!

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

Getting published is tricky for sure. I haven't figured it out...:)

Helena said...

It is strange the old hit or view count thing. My sister blog that I call Quick Sticky Bits, I use mainly for fun posts like quizzes, meme's, music ect, but gets far more daily hits (usually into the hundreds) than my main blog gets. I can't fathom it out!

But you're right - a mix of humour, pictures, music and videos is far more appealing to the general public. I check out sidebars, too. And I'm thinking about using a LinkWithin widget at the end of each post, for it is a shame that posts like Lunar Wars goes without the bigger audience it deserves.





Darla Sue Dollman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darla Sue Dollman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aditi said...

Wow blogging for 7 years!! That's commendable! :) I started blogging a year back and yes it gets tiresome blogging each day but that's a challenge that I think will do us good. Building networks is great fun too. :) Aditi, A2Z participant