Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Historical Humor #AtoZ

It's a rare clip that is so funny that no matter how many times I watch it, I still laugh. I'm talking about Abbott and Costello's famous skit, "Who's on First?" This hilarious duo worked radio, television, and film for ten years starting in 1942. Since then, many other comedians have graced the stages but so many of them depend on raw, dirty humor to get a laugh. Not these two. They didn't need to spew the F word in every other line to be funny. Check this out:



Another funny man from the past was Buster Keaton who made his start in 1899 at age three. He was born into a Vaudeville family and performed a comedy skit with his parents. The stone faced youth would anger his dad who grabbed a hook on his back and threw him across the stage. This violent act led to accusations of child abuse, but Buster, who Harry Houdini nick-named after a fall down a flight of stairs at age eighteen months, insisted he was fine. In fact, Buster Keaton became a pro at physical humor. Watch this:




Finally, my blog wouldn't be complete without honoring at least one funny gal from history. Lucille Ball was great and could be a post all by herself, but I'd like to honor the late, great Gilda Radner. I especially loved her skits as Roseanna Roseanna Dana on Saturday Night Live. Unfortunately I couldn't find my favorite, The U.S. Wants to Make Puerto Rico a Steak," but here's one that I'm sure you'll enjoy.




So is it cheating for a humor blogger to give you a laugh from the great ones? Nah! We learn from the best. See you Monday, which will be brought to you by the letter I.

10 comments:

Catch My Words said...

Thank you, Deirdra! I am honored and will proudly wear the badge.

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

I love you and your wonderful post which I must bring my husband to see. We are great classic comedy lovers and you have GREAT taste in humor!
jean

Manzanita said...

I love those first 2 old classics and that is the first time I've seen the Rosanna commencement one. Very funny. Brings back memories. Thanks for posting.

Catch My Words said...

Thanks for visiting. No one does comedy like the great ones from the past.

Empty Nester said...

DD3 absolutely loves that skit! She even has a Christmas ornament with them on it and, when you push the button, you can hear them doing the skit! And you are so right- NO ONE does it better!

And Gilda- LOVED her! There's nothing like the old SNL gang!

Stratoz said...

Back in my youth I used to enjoy Abbot and Costello, later I enjoyed that early gang at SNL. Have a great week

Rhonda at Laugh Quotes said...

Great laughs, and no it's not cheating (I plan to be doing it for L).

Melissa @ A Wide Line said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing these old clips. I know which SNL skit you're referring to, and it's one of my faves, too. Visiting you from the Time Travel.

Jessica @FoundtheMarbles said...

Those are just timeless.

Unknown said...

These were such fun to watch!

Stopping from Time Travel Tuesday a day late!