Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Nudity & The Ninth Wonder of My World #AtoZ

Having a title starting with the word "Nudity," I wonder if this little post will gain top hits status. Yeah! Admit it. You clicked on my blog. I'll tell YOU exactly what I told my pediatrician when he asked five-year-old me to take off my clothes: I said, "You're nasty." But that's not exactly what this post is about. Here goes . . .
It's great to be alive; it's even greater to be in Colorado; but it's best to be at Shwayder Camp --"Uncle Max" Frankel

One of my most embarrassing moments occurred at a youth group convention held at Camp Shwayder in Idaho Springs, Colorado. After spending a full summer working that camp, I knew my way around inside and out. So when we got stinky by riding horses, I found myself at the end of an extremely long shower line. I mean I could have climbed to the top of one of those mountains, jumped in a frigid lake, and hiked back before I'd have a turn at getting clean. Not to worry. Remember, I knew the camp inside and out. 

A lone shower stall existed in a meeting room cabin that few people ever entered, so why not? I grabbed my clothes, towel, soap, etc. and snuck into the private shower. This would have been fine had I not been greeted by a cabin full of boys being friendly while I showered, in the nude! Their cabin shared a wall with the meeting room cabin.

"Hello, Joyce!" They all shouted through the walls.

Feeling a bit shocked by the greeting, I didn't worry too much because after all, no one was in my part of the cabin.

"Where are you?"

"Watching you shower."

"Ha. Ha. No, you're not. No one's in this room," so, "Where are you?"

"Look up. There are holes in the wall."

Sure enough, at the top of the shower, several holes punctured the wall. Uh, er, I didn't know about those. Although I couldn't see any eyeballs goggling through, I had to wonder, could they really see me? I sure hoped not. I believe they were just messing with me after seeing me enter the cabin with a towel et al.; however, my friends wouldn't tell what they did or didn't see, so I guess this remains the Ninth Wonder of the World. Feel free to look at my most popular posts if you're curious about the Eighth Wonder of the World.

See you Monday when we explore the letter Ooooooo, which is for Oops and Oliver--the class pet who didn't enjoy his visit at our house.

12 comments:

Marian Allen said...

Oh, dear! Sounds like you were BORN in command of every situation, and I mean that in the best way. You're the kid I wished I had as a best friend in elementary and junior high. :)

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

Catch My Words said...

Thanks, Marian! I could have used a few more friends to get me through junior high. Those kids were vicious.

Shah Wharton said...

Hey - so great to see you at my blog today. Kids are cruel - I got bullied all through school and loathed every minute of it.

No, I haven't been on Webook for ages actually, though I do pop in on occasion to check emails. But I get so much more out of blogging these days. And She Writes has a group which does critique exchanges for my novel/writing which helps so much.

Hope you'll come by again soon. I'm following. Shah .X

Catch My Words said...

Funny, but I never viewed these boys as cruel, they were actually my friends. Just a bunch of guys taking advantage of a great situation to have fun. I don't believe anyone actually saw me because the shower hugged the wall. Thanks for stopping by and following.

Muriel said...

Hi there! I found you on the week-end blog hop and I like your style. Am a new follower. I hope that you acted as if nothing had happened. That's what the Brits would do anyway!

Jeff Beesler said...

Hmm. I'm not sure I'd believe them either if I were put in that showery situation. But it sounds like you enjoyed camp regardless. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Rosaria Williams said...

So good to meet you! Thanks for your visit btw. Your sense of humor is resplendent in every one of your posts I read.

Dafeenah said...

For reaching a 100 followers, I decided to have a giveaway and you were one of the winners. You win a free blog header design or blog button design. You can email me at dafeenah at gmail dot com and give me the details for the design and I will get it done for you!

Langley Cornwell said...

Oh no, that would have been awful. Sorry for laughing!

I’m A-Z Blogging on Langley Writes about Writing and Langley’s Rich and Random Life

Catch My Words said...

Thanks for all the comments!

I'm excited about winning a new blog header design and am glad I made someone laugh! That's the whole point of my blog--getting a laugh.

Rhonda Albom said...

LOL Joyce, how stressful. At least it was long before the days when everyone has a phone on their camera.

I love the new banner! Congrats on winning it.

Tony Payne said...

Being seen nude is a big deal when you are younger, well for some people, especially those who are really prudish, but as I have got older I have found my inhibitions are a lot less than they were. If we go to the beach, I park the car, then strip off my clothes in the car, because chances of someone seeing anything is slim to none, well at the beaches we go to at least.