Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Good Yontif

I am home from work today but will soon be headed to synagogue to usher in the new year 5774. This is the actual year, had the world not started the count over again at the time of the common era. I like the calendar reporting events this way because B.C. is confusing. For example, one can be born in 254 BC and die in 198. So how old was the dude when he died? See what I mean? Not that anyone keeps track of dudes from back when, unless he was an angry Caesar (not the salad) who used his enemies as cat chow. Contrary to movie scenes, Caesar did not feed Christians to lions because he lived before Christianity--but I digress.

We celebrate Rosh Hashanah through the blowing of the shofar, a rams horn, to represent our call to worship. I've tried blowing into ram's horns but all I get is winded and drool down my chin. Kudos to those who can make them sound.

Also, last night, after services, we attended a wonderful party where we dipped apples in honey as a symbol of a sweet new year. If you haven't tried this, I highly recommend an apple, bowl of honey, and a wet wipe to keep your fingers from sticking together like silk to Spiderman.

Most importantly, this is the week for us to reflect upon the year and seek forgiveness from anyone whom we have hurt, knowingly or not. So, if I did or said anything to hurt your feelings, please forgive me. Sure, God will forgive us, but he asks that we seek forgiveness from those we have sinned against first. It is most important that we forgive each other and work to get along among those we live with because that's what counts in the eyes of the Lord.

L'Shana Tova Tikva Tenu
Happy New Year to all those celebrating the High Holy Days.


14 comments:

Sandra Tyler said...

lol that's funny. How old WAS that dude?

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I am going to put this year on my next paper for class just to see what my professor says :)

Masshole Mommy said...

Happy New Year to you and your family :)

Theresa Mahoney said...

Mmmm, apples and honey. Haven't tried it, but definitely going to now!

Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

I have never tried apples and honey...but it sounds so good!!! YUM! Got to try it now!

Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

Lucy said...

You know those darn Christians and changing the calendar.

Happy New Year!

Oh, and the apple and honey,sounds delicious :)

Lucy from Lucy's Reality

Rhonda Albom said...

L'Shana Tova may we all be inscribed in the book of Life, Peace and Happiness

Zucchini said...

Nice post, great blog, following :)

Good Luck :)

Agent 54 said...

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year. I didn't know much about the holiday until now.

Unknown said...

Happy New Year!
I enjoyed learning a little more about this holiday - thanks!
Around Christmas we went to some friends for a Hanaka (sp?) party - it was very fun to watch and learn!

Binky said...

Getting along and working together would be the best thing people from any religion or non-religion could ever do.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Is it cool to wish you a Happy New Year, then? (Or just Happy Rosh Hashana?)

HA! I reckon it takes a special kinda skill set to make a pleasant sound come out of a ram's horn, but it's pretty neat that you got to give it a try. Pbbbt! (What's a little dribble down the chin?)

mail4rosey said...

Silk to spiderman? buwahhahaa

Happy Celebration to you!