Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Kindergarten

I'd always heard that whatever one needs to survive in life, one learns in Kindergarten. If you haven't seen Kindergarten in a while, keep in mind that it's now the new first grades. These little tikes, who are barely out of diapers, are already writing complete stories and completing real math problems. Forget about identifying numbers--that was so preschool. With such a tough curriculum, I wonder how any kid could survive without the pre-school experience.

I remember a carefree kindergarten year with Miss Meyers. She was a loving older woman, who I was lucky enough to have right before she retired. I loved her dearly. Apparently she loved me too because at the end of the year, I found her pink crayon in my bag. I went to tell her about it, and she said, "Shhh. Don't tell anyone, but I gave it to you because you're my favorite." Okay, here I am forty-four years later blabbing about it, but this little act meant so much to baby me. It gave me the foundation and confidence to continue on in school for another seventeen years!

I have three children who have made it through Kindergarten and way beyond. When my youngest started Kindergarten she came across the misfortune of having spoken to Ross. He was a foolish young man who worked at our community center. After Erica enjoyed her first day of Kindergarten, Ross asked her if she cried. When she gave him a puzzled look and said, "No," he didn't stop. He told my child how she is supposed to cry on the first day of Kindergarten. Everyone cries. So needless to say, she started an epidemic up and down the hall on day two. The worst criers were the teachers' kids whose moms worked right there in the building. Thanks a lot, Ross! I thought about payback when his kiddos started Kindergarten but had grown up too much to have fun at his expense. Dag-gum-mit!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

The reason the teacher's kids cried so much was they realized they would be with their parent the whole year...every day. That'd make me cry to. Can't get away with nothin'!

Catch My Words said...

Ain't that the truth! I knew about everything instantly.

Jen said...

Oh I wish I would have known about this reverse a-z challenge! How fun! I don't remember if I cried or not!

Catch My Words said...

Just hop in now. We don't mind. You could start with a letter J post tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I have a granddaughter and a grandson who will be starting kindergarten in the fall. Both are ridiculously smart and really excited to be going to "big kid school." No tears are expected, but who knows. :O)

THE SNEE said...

Poor you! Ross was a parent 'saboteur"! My kids didn't cry, I did.