Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Friday, May 6, 2011

Vaseline

You know the stuff! Petroleum jelly. Thick gooey blobs of grease that could be a fun horror movie special affect with a little red food coloring. With a name like "Petroleum jelly," one has to wonder where this stuff comes from. Is there a petroleum plant, run off from gasoline, or what?

Vaseline
Looking at Wikipedia, petroleum jelly is a semi-solid mixture of hydrocarbons with a melting point of about 167˚. Now I don't know about you, but I never tried to melt Vaseline. I mean if you coat your logs in Vaseline then stick them in the fire, will they burn longer? Purer? Send off healing products into the air?

The article goes on to report that Vaseline is tasteless. Thank God they told me that! I was going to spread it on my toast this morning. Also, Vaseline has no known healing effects, but rather works as a Bandaid to keep germs out. What do you use Vaseline for? On second thought, I don't want to know!

13 comments:

EBENEZER ADOKWEI said...

Lol!! Really great informative post you have here.I really enjoyed reading about Vaseline.This product has been in existence very long but i never knew much about it like you've put here.Thanks for the piece of information.Meanwhile plz pass by my blog, read,comment and follow to help me improve my works too.First post is a poem about freeing your mind and subsequent post "5" to mind liberation.Will be counting on networking with you.Till then have a wonderful day.
EBENEZER ADOKWEI

Rhonda Albom said...

Vaseline is a great make-up remover - or am I thinking of baby oil? Fun post.

Anonymous said...

Charming post!

Dafeenah said...

LOL. I don't think I ever really used it for anything. At least not anything I am willing to talk openly about. Ooops did I just say that outloud?

Anonymous said...

Cute post about an everyday item that most of us take for granted. I'll never look at Vaseline the same way again.

Catch My Words said...

Yes, there was a reason why I said I didn't want to know what you do with it. ;)

Ree Vera said...

LOL I loved this. I use it for stuff...hmm. Interesting that you can melt it. Then again it's like Vicks right? Maybe not. :)

Tony Payne said...

Just a suggestion - never confuse Vaseline and Vicks. If you ever put Vicks on a sensitive part of your body, it's something you will only ever do once. And Vaseline doesn't act as a very good decongestant either!

I always liked the joke about the couple who used Vaseline when making out. They put it on the door handle so the kids couldn't get in and disturb them.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Okay, it's not a use for Vaseline, but my son once coated himself in Vaseline from head-to-toe a la Burt Reynolds in "Striptease." It was horrible to clean up, because...it's water proof!!! It took days of strenuous washing to get his hair to look at all normal. Vaseline is not my friend.

Tracey said...

I use Vaseline to help keep my heels soft. Petroleum jelly is one of the most tested ingredients so I'm not surprised that you can eat it...not that I would.

Catch My Words said...

Now wait a minute . . . I never said, "You can eat it." I said, it is "tasteless." I think eating it would be tasteless act too.

Marie Anne said...

Tasteless? I wonder if the person penning that ever tried it. I can't even imagine - yuck! I don't think I even have a jar of vaseline in the house, but if I did, it would probably be in the toolbox instead of the medicine cabinet.

Sorry I didn't get back to you about the Q. I have one for that, surprisingly. There's a nail salon here named Q-nails or somesuch, so I'm good (or I would be if I would get caught up. Life got in the way!)

I’m hosting Z to A in May, but I’m blogging at: Ross County Roundup

THE SNEE said...

Wow Joyce! You have been a very busy humor blogger. Sorry I've missed so many posts. My non bloggy world is dominating my time currently.
So....Vaseline, eh. Vaseline is our favorite moisturizer. We have one in every room(almost) given the extended winter season up in the north country.

I also want to thank you so much for considering me for awards. I'm honestly very flattered.