Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Monday, May 23, 2011

Hearing Loss Humor

Earlier this school year, I made the horrid mistake of allowing my boss to know that I hold a bachelor's degree in speech pathology/audiology. This is what I majored in way back when I was a dumb kid who hadn't a clue what to do with my life. With the discovery of my hidden degree, I was granted the job of giving hearing screenings to students in the kindergarten, second, and fourth grades.
Audiometer

The kids lined up outside my door, stepped inside, listened to tones, and moved on. In between classes, I decided to test the audiometer to see if it worked. That dang machine must have been broken because I couldn't hear a thing. Maybe it was related to my turning the TV up too loud (according to my husband) or blushing when someone said something benign like, "I need a Bic."

Needless to say, I set up an appointment with an ENT and had a hearing test. I'm not deaf enough to stick annoying plastic things in my ears, but I'm a bit at a loss. However, my hearing defect is atypical, and why wouldn't it be? Most people who lose hearing with age or rock music find the upper tones wiped out. My high and low tones are fine. I have a bilateral dip right in the middle--1,000 hertz. Of course, this is the pitch for speech. So I hear plenty, I just don't always understand.

The doctor said that this type of loss is hereditary. My daughter gave me a silent FU. That's okay, I couldn't hear her anyway.

Let me leave you with a fun clip about the Empty Nest and hearing loss. http://comedians.jokes.com/bill-engvall/videos/bill-engvall---empty-nest/

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I know about hearing loss. My friends and family make fun of me and say "what" all the time when I ask them to repeat. I miss the beginning and endings of words. Consequently, life is always funny to me.

SJerZGirl said...

I've had a loss of hearing since late in high school - in the human voice range, just as you. I have to listen carefully. Any other background noise will interfere with my ability to hear what is being said. Lately I've noticed I can't hear higher pitches on one side. My daughter's alarm will go off and I won't hear it if I'm on my right side. But, on my left side, I can hear it fine. It's a little scary, but what can you do?

M Pax said...

I have worse hearing in one ear than the other. I usually only notice it on the phone.

Rico Swaff said...

One of my relatives has 30% hearing in one ear, 50% hearin in the other. You should see this person try to sing....they are oblivious as to how bad they are.

Rhonda Albom said...

Lucky for me, my hearing is still fine. When I had mine tested she said it was perfect - so my problem would be not listening.

Cyndi said...

I have audio nerve damage from 25 years of sirens. I can hear everything fine...as long as each sound occurs alone. Put multiple sounds together, I can't understand crap. I love to listen to music and NPR in the car, but if someone is riding with me, I have to choose between the radio or conversation...just another little gift of age and career choice.